What should I do for UTI that requires catheterisation?

General Surgeon
Hello I have a urinary retention condition that requires catheters. My former urologist pushed surgical options which I was not comfortable with...he then "fired" me and has refused to renew my prescription for catheters. I do not need any additional treatment at this time nor do I have insurance - but I need the catheters.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Repeated catheterisation may harm you more. Detailed Answer: Hi Djordan ! Good morning and a Happy New Year 2014. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query. You have not mentioned the diagnosis for which you are having urinary retention that requires repeated catherterisation. However, at this stage of life, one can think of benign hyperplasia of prostate gland, which is a common condition. If this is the case, and if all medical management/drugs have stopped giving you any relief, then I suppose your doctor has rightly advised you to go for a surgery, and avoid repeated catheterisation which may land you up sometimes in recurrent urinary tract infection which may harm you more in due course. I do understand your problem of not having an insurance. But if I were your treating doctor, and feel that you need a surgery for your betterment, I would also advise you surgery for that purpose. Therefore, I would not hesitate to counsel you to listen to your treating doctor or take a second opinion if need be to be sure of the management if you so desire. I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts. Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.