What precaution should I take to reduce the SGOT and SGPT levels?

dear sir 1 m XXXXXX 24 years old on 10th of this month i had undergone for medical which was required for visa.
all the reports were normal except SGOT and SGPT. at that time my SGOT and SGPT was 127 and 184 respectively, which was not acceptable.
they have asked me to do reduce it.
since then i was taking extra precaution of my self like daily drinking 5 ltrs of water, exercising, avoided fatty food, no rice, no sweet etc,
Moreover i consulted my family doctor so he gave me URDOHEP-SL medicine.
today i again undergone for medical so result was SGOT 86 and SGPT 158.
SO my big concern is SGPT.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

In your LFT reports only liver enzymes (SGOT & SGPT) values are high.

SGPT usually denotes an injury primary to Liver cells. SGOT is increased in other conditions as well.

There are many reasons of elevated liver enzymes without elevated bilirubin. Few of the common causes for isolated SGPT elevation are certain medications (like statin for dyslipidemia, pain killer or NSAID etc.), alcohol, hepatitis, obesity, cirrhosis; Gall stone, pancreatitis, etc. Isolated SGOT elevation is seen in celiac disease, XXXXXXX disease, hemochromatosis, infection mononucleosis, heart failure etc.

We need to rule out the above possibilities.

You may discuss with your treating doctor / gastroenterologist to correlate the findings with your medical history and exclude majority of the causes. If there is no significant cause found, then we need to monitor the levels by repeat tests done. In addition few more investigations such as ultrasound examination, complete blood count, viral hepatitis markers, blood sugar, PT (prothrombin time) and INR needs to be done too.

You already improved much with your liver enzyme reduction but still the level is high.

I encourage you to follow the below suggestions-

1. Plenty of fluid intakes.
2. Adequate XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and nutritious food containing vitamins and minerals.
3. No addiction (like alcohol, smoking etc.).
4. Don’t intake of medicine without doctor prescription.
5. Avoid spicy, fatty, oily food and take blunt diet.
6. Can start any hepatoprotective drugs (like liv 52), a proton pump inhibitor (like omeprazole).
7. Be cautious that stool should be clear every day otherwise you have to take laxative at night.
8. You can continue URDOHEP-SL given by your doctor.

Consult your physician / gastroenterologist as and when possible and discuss about the aforementioned possibilities / tests and further mode of management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review for me.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly