What medicine to take alongwith Ecosprin to avoid acidity? Family history of cholesterol

Hi, I am 40 years of age my height is 6 ft and my weight is 79 kgs. I am taking Amlodipin 2.5 mg for the last 5 years for my B.P. Now its normal and the reading is 120/80. I have a family history of Cholestrol . Though I follow a strict diet and exercise minimum 5 days a week my total cholestrol always remains betweem 210 and 220. Whe i consulted my family physiacan he has advised me to take ecosaprin AV 75 daily, because i am in business and my job is little sressfull. I have a very sensitive stomach and have acidity problem. I just wanted to know the side effects of Ecoasprin AV75, particularly relating to my stomach. Is there any medicine I should take along with ecoasprin AV 75 to avoid stomach problems? kindly advise
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later

Ecospirin AV contain aspirin and atrovastatin.The drug will help as an anti couagulant as well as as lower cholesterol.

Some of the side effects are drowsiness, acidity, muscle ache etc.

To avoid any stomach acidity problems, this drug should be taken with food or after food. Never on an empty stomach.

You can also take and antacid like pantoprazole/ omeprazole before food for the acidity.

Some general measures for good health:

Continue your regular exercises.
Stop Alcohol intake if any.
Stop smoking if any.
Reduce or stop stimulant intake like coffee, tea and cold drinks like pepsi/coke.
Start playing some outdoor game which involves some amount of running.
Do meditation/Yoga, this helps your stress.
Get a general check up every six months.
Test your sugar levels every 3 months.
Check your cholesterol levels every 3 to 6 months.
Check your blood pressure every month.
Take foods XXXXXXX in fiber like XXXXXXX leafy vegetable and legumes(roots)
Be committed to following these measures.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: What medicine to take alongwith Ecosprin to avoid acidity? Family history of cholesterol 9 hours later
Thanks Doctor. I would just try to understand whether on a longer run is it advisable to take Ecoasprin AV 75. If I stop in between are there any side effects.some people say that there might be internal bleeding in the longer run if u take ecoasprin AV 75.As I am 40 yrs now can I take the medicine as per my doctors advise! Kindly ahelp me out!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 hours later
Hello again,

Ecospirin is given as a prophylactic drug, to avoid any possible coagualopathy in the future. It doesnt really cause any bleeding etc. Only in case of elective surgery, it is stopped before hand to avoid bleeding.

However, in the long run, I don't think you have to worry about that.

You can take the drug as advised by your doctor.

I hope, this answers your query.