What medication can be taken for lower abdomen tenderness?

General Surgeon
Hi there...43 yr old male, 6 feet 2 inches, 170 health issues.

For the last 5 days, have had a sore to the touch centralized area in the lower right abdomen, 2-3 inches below & to the right of the belly button.

All functions normal, food intake normal....barely feel the area unless I touch it and put pressure on it.

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 28 minutes later

It appears to be case of mild early phase infection localized to cecum or appendix .Worm infestation could also cause lower abdomen tenderness.

Abdominal examination and complete investigation including routine blood / urine test along wit stool for ova or cyst and ultrasound abdomen are entailed.

You may need a course or antibiotics or anti worm drugs depending upon the test report. A physician or a gastroenterologist can guide you with the test and suggest appropriate medications to you. Consult one of them as early as possible.

‘Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more concerns, I am available for follow ups.

Follow-up: What medication can be taken for lower abdomen tenderness? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr Rajinder...

As a follow up, I have read up a bit on appendicitis...(I'm the kind of guy that avoids going to the Dr at all costs).

It would seem that the pain would have been more to the middle, then moved to the right ? Also, it would seem that an upset stomach, vomitting etc would also be present ?

I guess I am trying to avoid a visit to the local MD.

Could it be as simple as a small muscle strain that will alleviate over another few days. Or is it imperative to head to the MD and have them have a look.

As I said, I have no other symptoms at merely hurts to press in the region (say 3 inches above the groin, right side) and I guess I can feel it when resting, but only barely. When I do press the area, I cannot be sure but it does feel as though their is a knot of kind, albeit only slightly.

Many thanks, s.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 18 minutes later
Hello and thanks again.

Yes, you are statements are true. In a case of acute appendicitis, pain starts around the umbilicus and then radiates to the right lower abdomen; accompanied by nausea or vomiting and loss of appetite.

But it is also not common to have low intensity pain in the milder initial stages of appendicitis,in simple typhlitis or even in enteritis pain. It could be the only symptom. Pain in appendicitis appears more on releasing than pressing (rebound tenderness); but in typhlitis pain is more on pressing.

Simple muscle pain is usually a continuous dull aching pain that is tender to touch.

Since muscular pain could be similar to appendicitis, typhilitis or enteric pain, it is perhaps necessary to consult a physician for examination. A physical examination and tests will clearly rule out these notorious disease. Hence I still recommend for investigation to rule out the harmful but treatable disease first.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery”