What kind of exercises help in reducing lower back pain?

General Surgeon
I twisted something and hurt my back a few days ago and the stabbing pain in my lower back (just above my tail bone has been excursiating. I am 73 year old and wonder what kind of exercises can do to help. Any suggestion?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Exercise during active pain is not advisable Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXX It is not advisable to do any exaggerated movement or exercise in the presence of pain. Pain is basically protective symptom pointing toward presence of underlying cause. In the absence of any swelling at the site Or radiation of pain lower down into thighs and buttocks there seems to be no cause for concern. The reason could possibly be due muscle sprain sustained. Local application of hot water fomentation and analgesic like ibuprofen will provide the much needed relief. If the pain persists I would suggest you to consult your Physician. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon