What kind of doctor should I consult for eye problems when suffering from diabetes?

Dear Sir & Madam, I am writing on behalf of my mother who is suffering from Diabatic and BP. Also she has problem with Eyes. Now days she is complaining as she is feeling diggy and week. Kindly suggest me a medication for her and also let me know if I should visit a specialist for check up. Kindly suggest me for which specialist I should see. Regards XXXX
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You need a check up and visit to specialist Detailed Answer: Hi, Diabetes and High BP were two common chronic problems that can affect the vision and heart. So it is important to follow up with doctors every 3 to 6 months even though the BP and blood sugar are under control. Every year a complete health check with lipids, ECHO, Foot and eye screening along with dental check are important. I am wondering if she is developing early changes in the retina (back of eye) and leading to weak vision. Dizziness and weakness are commonly complained when the blood flow to the head is not proper. She need Carotid Ultrasound to check the intimal thickness. I suggest to see a MD Internal Medicine and follow up with him as a family doctor for your mother. You do not have to visit every specialist all the time. Only if this doctor refers you will have to go otherwise they are trained to deal with the problems that your mother currently has. Good luck, let me know if you need further help.
Follow-up: What kind of doctor should I consult for eye problems when suffering from diabetes? 19 minutes later
Dear Sir, Thank you very much for the reply. I will follow as you have mentioned. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 41 hours later
Brief Answer: Please close and rate my reply. Detailed Answer: Thanks