What kind of allergies are causing reoccurring hives all over my body?

HI Dr. My name is Leavene. I have been suffering with reoccurring hives all over my body, for the past eight months .The hives are very itchy and burning especially on my hands . I have been to several doctors and they all said that it is allergies. But we can not figure out what kind of allergies it is.Can you please help me, its taking over my life. i get emotional sometimes. Thanks
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Multiple skin test to find out allergen Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Presence of generalised hives or wheal usually indicates allergy. The exact diagnosis of it depends on morphology of the wheal. Majority of the times the allergic substance could be commonly used products like detergent, artificial jewellery, external dust, pollen grain etc. It could also sometimes be internal allergen like consumption of certain kind of sea foods. I so understand the concern and trauma you must be undergoing I would suggest you the following 1. Consult a qualified Dermatologist for reassessment of lesion and confirm it's wheal/ hives 2. If it's confirmed to be wheals; Finding out cause of allegen is required. Multiple skin test can be done by qualified Allergy/ Respiratory specialist to find out exact allergen causing these kind of reaction. In the meantime there is no cause of worry, taking antihistamines like Chlorpheniramine maleate at the very beginning of the rash may provide much needed relief. Local application of Calamine lotion will provide soothing effect. You can also send us clinical photograph of the lesion for confirmation. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD