What is the use of levocetrizi and what could be the cause for mouth breathing in children?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hello drafter 3 courss of antibiotics from dec 9 one with amoxillin2nd fron XXXXXXX 2 podexthen last from XXXXXXX 22nd to 26 amollxilin and potassium calv. Adenoids of my son has come aback again.during antibiotic his snoring reduces after stopping it starts slowly and then now with mouth breath. Planning steroid spray next.but my doubt is ut shows clear infection as responds only to antibiotic. No results from xylomet nasal spray and levocetrizi mont got no fever cold or we need more antibiotic by iv it will help.?he any blood test so to identify the infection in his body.what is now use of levocetrizi mont tabs for son is 3.4 year normal with other activities except mouth breathing and so sleep.I dont want to go for surgery as he is young..and I can think about it after steroid spray. Please kindly help. He got mouth breathing and so his sleep is disturbing and his sternum moves in when he breaths at sleep.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Brief Answer: may need surgery after sometime Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I know u are very concerned but as a doctor I am advising you the following, Do not worry. This picture is very common in 3 year olds.! The adenoids do not go and come , They are there always,get enlarged with infections and when enlarged Press on the upper airway . Any child from 2-5 years of age has some adenoid and tonsil enlargement ( called lymphoid enlargement) which will regress with age. Mouth breathing may be from adenoids or blocked nose or by habit !!! I understand you do not want surgery and I agree with you as adenoids are not that big in the X-ray can wait for a year or two and watch. See that there is no nasal block - if there is you can use pediatric nose drops like otrivin pediatric when necessary. Antibiotics are not needed Evert time she gets cold and cough!!!! Antibiotics are needed only if there is fever,yellowish phlegm,follicular tonsillitis,etc. Levocetrizine is antihistaminic and can be used . Montelkeukast is anti allergic and can be given a trial. Why steroid spray when lungs are clear? Is it for nasal allergy? ( not for adenoids surely) steroid spray can be used for a limited period after all other measures have failed) Try to accept minor symptoms as if you pressurise doctors will go for stronger medicines. Viral illnesses do take time to clear. I am sure your child will improve in a few months with the change in weather. Try to prevent all allergens(. Dust in the house, bedroom,crowded places. known flood allergy ( you will find by trial and error) Proving infection indirectly is by checking blood counts . Good luck God bless Dr Uma
Follow-up: What is the use of levocetrizi and what could be the cause for mouth breathing in children? 16 minutes later
thank you dr. from morning he got sneezing and running nose , z levocetrizen and mont tablet help it or I need him to take to consultation again. and one more thing mam my son sternum moves inside during breathing in sleep alone is that to be worried. .,,..? will it affect his to reduce it. I already used xylomet pead drops for nearly 10 days will I give it night alone if necessary. Will normal nasal saline drops help.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes it will help! Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, it will help. Just give Levocet and monteleukast. Wait and watch. As I said earlier,try avoiding allergens including citrus fruits like oranges and lemon. Even though flood allergy is rare it can happen.. Reg nasal drops normal saline is the best and safe and secondly you can use the other per preparations. Xylomet and otrivin are the same. Reg sternal in drawing only during sleep is due to upper airway obstruction and will improve with time.. As he has been examined by your doctor, there is unlikely to be any other problem. Good luck God bless Dr uma
Follow-up: What is the use of levocetrizi and what could be the cause for mouth breathing in children? 17 minutes later
Can I give him curd..home made afternoon without curd its difficult.banana, XXXXXXX can I give Thank you mam for your concern and response.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes , curd is very good in nutrients and safe even if there is fever and cold,cough! XXXXXXX Is good. Banana s also good unless there is specific problem . Each chid is different with respect to allergy so you have o Ind out by trial and error. God bless Dr uma
Follow-up: What is the use of levocetrizi and what could be the cause for mouth breathing in children? 2 minutes later
Thank you mam
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: ok bye Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I wish your child early return to normalcy! Take care Dr uma