What is the treatment for severe acne problem?

Dec 2013

Hi Doc I have serious Acne problem which is increasing day on day and now i am getting more painful one The nown issues to me is my bad sex life and busy schdeule to maintain my lifestyle please help me with soem medication to improve the acne and scars
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly see the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for pimples. For a female it is really distressing if there is presence of pimples on face. Before I proceed to your issue let me explain you elaborately regarding pimples- Acne or pimples generally appears at the age of 13-14 years and then almost vanishes by the age of 25 years. These erupts basically due to hormones (chemicals which are influencing one or other body functions including growth, puberty and development of body in adults) in addition to the influence of certain other factors causing its aggravation. The hormone testosterone and its bye-products plays the most important role in high oil secretion and increase the size of oil glands especially in males. As the pores or ducts of the glands are blocked so it leads to formation of pimples. In females there is not a direct presence of testosterone is there but the female hormones turns into the testosterone and other of related chemicals. There are certain other factors such as application of oily or creamy products, over exposure to sunlight, heat and humidity or due to pinching, popping and squeezing of the pimples also leads to formation of pimples. Once these are healing they leave the most problematic thing which are either marks or scars. Therefore any of the above factors along with hormones can cause appearance of pimples at the age of 32 years also. So probably you got some idea regarding your acne. There are certain suggestions which you can follow: 1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area on face. 2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face. 3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also. 4. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours. Make your room properly ventilated it will improve the status of pimples. 5. Kindly do not use any antibiotic as self medication. 6. Do not apply any hair oil on scalp or apply in very less amount. Wash your scalp daily with some good shampoo and let there be no dandruff in your scalp ( because dandruff itself causes blockage of pores of oil glands and then pimples). Kindly tell me some details regarding yourself - your marital status and if married then future planning for pregnancy or feeding baby. - Your job profile. - History of delayed menses. - How many pimples you get in a week and are these big ones. It will be better if you can send a picture of your present status. Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: What is the treatment for severe acne problem? 48 hours later
HI your marital status - Married and if married then future planning for pregnancy or feeding baby. My baby is just completed her 16th month and yes i am still feeding - Your job profile. i am working both in office and sometimes on visit but not too much of exposure...60% its a field job only. Incase you are suggetsing me on what all i should not use please suggets what should i do also. Any clinic where i can visit and show you History of delayed menses.- NO (just after baby deliver for alomst 1 year i didnt had any Menses . How many pimples you get in a week and are these big ones.- almost 3-4 and yes they are big, pus and painful too (painful as sometime they are on face bone eye bone so it pains ) Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kinldy see the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hello young lady, welcome again to the forum and thanks for your swift reply. After getting all the important informations form your side there is further of the suggestions for you: - After analyzing the picture as well as the details provided by you, It appears from your query that you are suffering from severe grade of acne known as cystic acne or nodular acne. - The best medication for the same is isotretinoin- it is drug of choice which acts on all aspect of pimple formation BUT UNDER STRICT DERMATOLOGICAL SUPERVISION ONLY. Why I have written in capitals letters is because it is double edged sword- if not used under medical advice it can cause serious side effects. We always first go for certain basic investigation of blood before we start this medicine. There is also a norm of continuous supervision with further blood test monthly basis and clinically also where we judge either to reduce or to stop the medication. So this drug is to be started under a dermatologist's guidance only. - As I said previously, Isotretinoin by mouth is the best available treatment for preventing further progression of pimples. But as you are feeding your baby so it can not be used in yourself. Also if a female wants to conceive in next few months also then also it should not be started. - The other of the way is to go for hormonal therapy in low dose along with anti-androgen tablets. For married females who do not wish to conceive in near future can be given this part of treatment for few months. Again you need to take it under dermatological supervision only. - For either of things stated above you have to stop feeding your baby as the drugs given to you are secreted in the milk and can harm your baby. - For the same it would be better to consult in Skin department at Medical College near you. At Medical College level the dermatologist can guide you best for the problem. OR you can visit a proper dermatologist and discuss all sorts of measure which I have suggested to you. Rest of the suggestions are previous. Reduce your stress level too as high stress leads to hormonal up surge and thereby more eruption of pimples. I hope that the informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help. "With healthy skin wishes" Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)