What is the treatment for presence of fine thread like white coloured worm at the mouth of the anus?

Jun 2015

Hi I am from India. My 4 yr son was complaining abt pain in anus region. After viewing I found fine thread like white coloured worm just at the mouth of anus. After removing it he was releived of pain. What should I do ? Which line of treatment should I prefer ?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pinworm infection- give Albendazole suspension Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The "fine thread like white coloured worm" at the mouth of the anus of your son are Pinworm/ Threadworm. They are a common intestinal parasite and are quite common among kids. It can be treated by intake of Anthelmintic (anti-worm) medicines like Albendazole suspension, given in one dose and repeated again after 2 weeks. Although medicine takes care of the worm infection, the itching may last about a week after medicine is taken. An anti-itch ointment will be needed to provide symptomatic relief from itching. So, kindly visit his treating Doctor/ Pediatrician & get the medications as advised. Frequent hand washing and routine household cleaning measures will help reduce the spread of pinworm infection to the family. There is no need to worry, your son will be fine. Wishing him a good health. Take care.