What is the treatment for painful tender bumps on scalp?

Jan 2014

Hi My scalp has soft n tender bump... it pains mildly when I touch it
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: A course of oral antibiotics for a week Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing in to XXXXXXX I need more details about the bump you have to be better able to help. Can you tell me the size of the bump? Is it present on the skin or is it underneath the skin? Painful small bumps could be because of scalp folliculitis. I would advice that you get a prescription antibiotic from you dermatologist/ physician(One of the antibiotic from penicillin/cepahlosporin group of drugs would do) >Avoid using Hair oil on scalp. >Keep the scalp clean: Shampoo with a mild/gentle shampoo on Alternate days. In case you have dandruff you can use one of the anti-dandruff shampoos e.g Nizral 1% Ketoconazole is an OTC shampoo which might be useful in case you have dandruff. You can use it on alternate days. Hope you find my answer useful Take care regards.