What is the treatment for pain in the back of my knee after slipping on ice?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell today slipped on ice and hurt both knees. My rt knee is swollen but particularly painful in back of knee. Hard to walk. My daughter is getting married Sat so not sure if it's a serious injury. I am 57 in great health. Should I go to ER? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should visit emergency room. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It might be soft tissue injury, ligament injury or fracture. Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance. In the interim, apply ice packs to the affected area, anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well. Wishing you good health... Regards.