What is the treatment for pain in knee and ankles?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have pain in Right leg knee on RHS nerve, this has started form last three months, also due to same i am getting some pain on back side of my ankle on same leg , I already had email discussion with Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ,but i was unable to provide with X ray report and report. This pain is mainly noticed when i sit with my legs folded.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Physiotherapy will be helpful. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query again. Considering your age and your present complaints, you might be suffering from arthritis of patella. In early stages it presents as painful initiation of movement of knee and later on subsides during routine work. This condition is called as Chondromalacia patellae. But it is too early to say that you are suffering from this condition, without a proper clinical examination and x-rays. Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the progression of arthritis. Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged & cycling will also help in reducing your symptoms. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight. If the pain is severe, you can take few doses of NSAID's( Nusiad Sr and Evion 400) as already advised by your doctor or physiotherapic modalities like IFT to relieve your pain. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care