What is the treatment for pain and complications associated with Behcets symdrome?

Yes, it has been discovered that i have behcets symdrome. Its been going on for for 25 weeks. I am taking aleve,percocet, loratab, and on rare occasions tordol. I have all of chronic dieaseses. Diabeties,fibrbo.,ibs,gout,allygeries,chronic fatigue,ashma,and so on.... My pain was a little better for a while 4 days maybe, and i was hoping this would go away but that is not happening instead it has gotten worst. My eye sight is geting strained even though i went to an eye doctor who said tha my eyes were almost completly dried out with a combinatipn of steroids and eye tears it has only helped a little. My appetaite has gone thrru the roof. Yogurt,eaggs on toast ice tea,cakes or sugar, is all i want to eat. There are cuts all around the inside of my mouth. My lips are swollien and some times the pain is unbarable. I live in Ohio. I have seen 8 doctors rumetologist,internest, etc.... I am aware that this a long time illness but is it going to get better? Is it killing me from the inside out. What can i do about the pain and i am alson on butrans patches, we treid steroids, iv,pain pills work for maybe three hours at the most. My blood pressure is steadily climbing. I have trouble getting to sleep. And yes i have tried lydicane. My mouth is so dry i can hardly stand it juicy fruiy gum is the best relief i can find. Filling are droping out of my teeth.. Is there a cure,is this manageable. How many auto-immune systumes disfucntions can a person live with out going broke or being broken ? I am 55 years old. Can do nothing or be anywhere without someone with me. They say that this is a problem in India but i have never been. I have a tendency to get wierd things. Fell of my bike at 5 knees did not connect. Osgoodslauther diseases at ten . Knee replacement 2years ago. Whay is next nd whay i i to do? I have 3 grandbabies under the age of two. Can anyone guarrantee this is not contagious. Help????...... I wrote Dr jogrge brenes-salazar cardiologist at mayo clinic mn. He suguested this diagnoses. The pain on a scale of1 to 10 is ten.i have tried magic mouth, mouthwashes two different pills,new vitamins,2 different pills. I had cortisone shots ,steriods,and ectc... I had 2 biopsys no cancer all blood was good except tiny jump in whote cells. The tongue pain is ubnbareable. Please help. Ps my joints also are in bad shape. Thank-u
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Multiorgan involvement, needs management Detailed Answer: hello there! Thank you for asking. I read your query and understand your concern for these horrible multitude of complaints you have. Well Dr Salazar has nailed the diagnosis for you. It looks like Behcet's. The eys, joints, oral cavity involvement with recurrent aphthous ulcers, associated with systemic morbidities. I want oyu to know that it is not contagious so you can love your grand babies as much as you can. Dont worry behcet's is not mortal enough only 5 % rate at average span of 7.7 years is reported. But the issue is morbidity and complications due to multi organ involvement. Some times its too early to diagnose Behcet's as there are many systemic diseases which present the very same way like Amyloidosis, AA (Inflammatory) Antiphospholipid Syndrome Inflammatory Bowel Disease Paraneoplastic Syndromes Polyarteritis Nodosa Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Wegener Granulomatosis so one should have a plan to sort out these etiologies before blue printing the behcet's for you.As behcet's is a diagnosis of exclusion. Now lets suppose you are behcet's so here is what you need. First you need to treat your infections early and aggressively as they worsen the symptoms and progressess the behcet's and its pandoras box opens. Now you have gastric manifestations for behcet's so you ned to follow the diet advised for Inflammatory bowel disease patients which include high fiber and water intake and easil digestible foods. A dietitian will be required for a full dietry plan. SO consult one. now people with behcet's are very vulnerable to vital organs derangements like fistula formation, perforation, severe bleeding, pulmonary aneurysms,Ventricular aneurysms, coronary thrombosis, endocardial fibrosis,Glaucoma, cataracts, and retinal detachment and CNS involvements like aneurysms and clots. SO you need a complete medication plan for your disease which involves corticosteroids Oral/ injectible, Immunomodulators like infliximab, etanercept, colchicine etc, and some immunosuppresants like azathioprones and cyclophosphamides. For which you need a rheumatologist and a lot of perseverence as it will take time to respond. Its not the matter of hours or days. Months are here we are talking about. Now last but not the least pain. SO this geriatric pain needs a lot of management and this needs to be handled by chronic pain management specialists. This disease is a multiorgan involving systemic one and it needs a team of doctors which should include Rheumatologist Urologist for genital and urologic lesions and involvements Neurologist for CNS involvement Ophthalmologist for ocular disease and monitoring Gastroenterologist for intestinal disease Dermatologist for possible help with recurrent skin lesions Surgeon, when indicated Nephrologist for proteinuria or hematuria Pulmonologist or cardiologist in rare cases of intracardiac or pulmonary thrombosis and aneurysms. Hope you got what you were looking for. Keep fighting It. It will take time. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask , i would love to answer , other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Good Luck and take some very good care of yourself. May the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr. S Khan