What is the treatment for low hemoglobin levels during pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
My wife's hemoglobin level, at 24 weeks pregnancy, is 8.85. At 16 weeks it was 9.45. She has been taking Ferinca tab once a day frm 3rd month. Plz let me know what should be done. Also, her PP blood sugar, 2 hrs after taking 75 gms of glucose, is 132, whereas her fasting sugar is 98. Please let me know whether it is normal. Thanks in advance for ur support, as always.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Iron supplement needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Hemoglobin level of 9.45 at 16 weeks & 8.85 at 24 weeks is low. If Ferinca tab is not working, you can ask your doctor to change the brand of iron preparation. She can take Iron tablets containing elemental iron of 100mg twice a day of any standard brand (We generally prescribe Orofer XT). You can repeat hemoglobin after 2 weeks & if there is no improvement, she may need intravenous iron. Before taking any further treatment for anemia (low hemoglobin) kindly confirm that its due to iron deficiency only & not due to any other cause by doing one blood test: serum Ferritin. Kindly let me know report of ferritin levels for further guidance. Till that time she can take food items rich in iron like dates, spinach & cook food items in iron pots if possible, without any side effect. Regarding sugar report, its absolutely normal. Hope this helps you. Kindly let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.