What is the treatment for localized headache?

I have s localised headache in tje firm of a dull ache on the left rear if my head just up behind the ear about half a finger length away -
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Review, opinion of a neurologist required. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, More characteristics of the pain might require a better understanding. Site, intensity, aggravating factors, alleviating factors, periodicity and how the pain fluctuates under given conditions. It might be important to know if you have any past history of ear infections or not. The bone area behind the ear has a bone called the mastoid bone. An infection spreading from the inner ear can easily spread to this bone, causing an infection and pain. It is therefore important to know if any ear, nose and throat infections you have experienced lately, if any. The characteristics of the pain such as the intensity and associated symptoms are all important. One sided pain , accompanied by nausea or vomiting, or at times visual disturbances could be suggestive more of migraines. In case of tearing in the eyes or neck muscle pain or stiffness, other primary headaches like cluster headaches or tension headaches should be examined. These would be most probable again in case you have gone through a very stressful situation lately. Headaches accompanied by nausea, visual disturbances, headaches being more serious in the early hours of the morning could indicate a mass or increasing pressure within the cranial cavity. It might be necessary at this point to get brain CT scan done. This shall exclude any possibilities or tumors or an abscess. The initial response to migraine therapy is important. If you have taken the drugs late, it might be important to know how you responded to therapy, and if well, aspects related to compliance to the therapy would be important to be noted. I humbly think a careful review of your general health status is required. This could be most effective if the opinion of a neurologist is sought. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking further follow up questions in case you need any clarifications. I would be honored to contribute. Dr Bain