What is the treatment for fungal infection in the groin and why is antibiotics necessary?

hi! i have rash on my penis, i also have some discomfort in my urithera (opening). i was given canesten cream and anti fugal. and also antibiotics oflaxin ( 2/day x 7 days), and azrithomycin (1/day for 3 days). my question is why do i need antibiotics if i have fungal infection and second is there any safer alternative to these antibiotics could i take either one of these two
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Candidiasis and urinary tract infection Detailed Answer: Hi See you have two problems. One is the rash over the penile which I suspect is candidiasis. Second is the urinary tract infection that you have. Now the application of the antifungal which is canestan is on doubt essential. Next you have been given two antibiotics which I think are both quite essential. See you have been given ofloxacin to cover organisms like e coli which cause urinary tract infection. Now the other hand azithromycin is given to cover other std causing organisms which can also lead to a urinary infection. Since you have raised liver tests and you seem to be quite apprehensive about the use of these antibiotics, so given a choice you can for the time being take only ofloxacin. You can omit azithromycin. If however even after seven days of this therapy, you feel that the burning still persists, then you can take the course of azithromycin. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What is the treatment for fungal infection in the groin and why is antibiotics necessary? 21 hours later
hi! thanks for your reply, i just got my urine analysis. and results are as follow: Blood: rbc: 6.95 mill/cmm wbc: 11400 /cmm vdrl: non reactive urine: physical(qty: 25cc , color: pale yellow, odour: aromatic, cleariy: clear, reaction: 6.5ph, gravity: 1.005) chemical(all bill) microscopic exam: (w.b.c: occasional, epithilial cells 1-2, else all bill) Please advice if i can take azrithomycin instead of ofloxin as i already started with azrithomycin last night, or stop azrithomycin and start ofloxin, or take both. and do i also need to take oral anti fungal medication for yeast infection? thank you in advance
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Candidiasis Detailed Answer: Hi See your blood and urine reports are all almost normal. Since there is on urine infection as per the reports, you can omit the course of ofloxacin and take only azithromycin . In addition, you need to apply the cream as advised. As far as oral antifungal is concerned, you should take a single dose of tablet fluconazole 150 mg stat. I am sure this therapy will help you. Dr Geetika Paul