What is the treatment for frost bite on upper lip?

Jan 2014

Hi dr I had gone to kashmir and I have got frost bite.upper lip has become red and burning can u suggest any medicine which I can apply on it and also ear is also paining due to cold .plz suggest.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Perniosis/Chilblains Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to keep a possibility of Perniosis/chilblains rather than frost bite. Chilblains (pernio) is a benign condition that occurs in cold, damp environments and presents with symmetric, distal, transient red-to-purple lesions on the extremities. Chilblains is a consequence of prolonged vasoconstriction of peripheral blood vessels in response to cold leading to mild tissue hypoperfusion and localized inflammation in response to tissue injury Lesions are more common on the dorsal aspects of the digits, and may be pruritic, painful (burning or tingling), and are often tender to palpation. The nose, lips, ear, lateral thighs, and buttocks may also be involved. Treatment is centered on keeping the body warm and avoiding exposure to cold, damp environments. Maintaining core body temperature warmth is essential, but layering warm garments over the affected or disease-prone extremities is important as well. Individual lesions will often resolve with warming, though it often requires days to a few weeks to completely return to normal. Oral Nifedepine which is a vasodilator is given sometimes in a dose of 20mg twice or thrice daily. take care