Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the treatment for frenulum tears in the penis ?

I have a tear on my penis looking at some anatomy it tells me is a frenulum tear. It was bleeding a lot and it hurts when I shower what can I use on it to help it heal? this is the second time it happens and I wonder if it will ever heal back again. the first time i let it rest for about 2 weeks
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 47 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.
This area of the body as you know has very sensitive tissue. With a tear of the frenulum, healing can be complicated by infection. This is not your fault, as the pubic region has many bacteria which are present normally.

As far as encouraging healing you should be sure to clean the area three times daily. I would recommend a warm soak in the bathtub multiple times daily as this will help promote healing.

I would also recommend you purchase antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin which you can apply also after you wash and dry yourself. The ointment will promote healing and minimize infection. It may take some time to heal so be patient.

Lastly you have to minimize trauma to the area - limit sex and masturbation for 10 more days as you focus on healing. Finally if this fails to improve your situation you may need to see a physician to evaluate the area and see if any additional intervention is needed.

I hope I have provided you with an adequate answer to your question. I am available for your followups.