What is the treatment for flu?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Im a women 54 years old that has had the flu for over a week and not feeling much better.fever is gone but all the rest still I need to see a DR?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Viral flu is self limiting, Rest is cure Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding flu not reducing even after a week. Viral flu is self limiting and some patients take longer than 10-12 days to fully recover. You have been taking fluid diet and lots of water as recommended for flu patients. Keep yourself warm and take rest as much as possible as rest is the cure for viral flu. You need to get in touch with your doctor if you develop the following symptoms: 1. Shortness of breath 2. Fever recurring again 3. Frontal headaches 4. Ear discharge and pain The above symptoms indicate complications like pneumonia, sinusitis or ear infection which are common in children and elderly and need to be brought to the attention of your treating doctor immediately. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks