What is the treatment for croupy cough, congested nostrils and metallic taste in mouth?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I have a croupy cough, congested nostrils, metal taste in mouth and fatigue. this is third day. Am general very healthy and high energy. Would appreciate suggestions on how to treat. Female, age 64
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please follow the answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history carefully and feel sorry for the situation you are in. I am also happy to come to know you are very healthy and energetic. I wish you will be always like this! With regards to the croupy cough and congested nostrils, they are common symptoms especially after passing common cold/flu recently. The metal taste in your mouth could be because of stomach irritation due to the current situation. I'd suggest to take ranitidine at bedtime and anti acids after having meals to optimize the stomach pH. To alleviate your current symptoms, I'd advise to: - keep the air well-moistened (using room humidifiers) - have frequent steamed-baths (to inhale warm air) - do aerosol-therapy (inhale warm water/saline) - use nasal decongestants - do throat gargles with water and salt or by using oral antiseptics - use acetaminophen/ibuprofen to reduce inflammation If symptoms will persist, or worsen, please consult with a pulmonologist to rule out bacterial infection as you might need antibiotics or anti-histaminics. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Sonila Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!