What is the treatment for cold and chest congestion?

I have been sick with a cold and chest congestion, and coughing a lot, sometime when in a coughing fit I pass out. its been happening more often like 3 - 5 times a day. I have had the same thing happen in the past from laughing hard
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: need more details Detailed Answer: Dear Friend, Welcome to XXXXXXX You have mentioned the duration of these symptoms. I need to know, since when you are having all these problems. Also , if you have any past medical history of any illness. Also , i need to know if you are a smoker. Let me list the possibilities: 1. Allergic Bronchitis 2. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 3. Bronchial Asthma. 1,2,3 are possibilities if your disease is a chronic one. But if you are having the symptoms in just recent past, it might be simply a Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (commonly known as Sore Throat) or Lower Respiratory Tract Infection (commonly known as Pneumonia). So tell me your age, occupation, duration, smoking status, age, any associated fever, cough with expectoration (sputum), color of your sputum, any weight loss, night sweats. If the symptoms are Acute , then you can do following things in consultation with your doctor: 1. Steam Inhalation 2. Warm Saline gargles. 3. A combination of Levocetirizine ,Ambroxol , Phenylephrine ,Paracetamol available on the counter such as LCZ Plus. 4. An antibiotic like Azithromycin might be required if you have a Fever. 5. Adding a bronchodilator like Bromohexine , Doxophylline may be considered if you have wheezes and Bronchospasm. In case you XXXXXXX not get relief in next 5 days , i recommend following investigations: 1. Chest X-Ray 2. Hemogram with ESR 3. Sputum for Gram Stain (If you have fever), 4. Sputum for AFB (if tuberculosis is prevalent in your country) Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help Stay Healthy