What is the treatment for chest congestion,cough with excessive mucous?

Hi! I have had chest congestion along with of course a strong cough It's been a full week but the sharp pricking in my throat is unbearable. Each morning I expel lots of ugly mucous. No fever. I am taking mucinex dm and have also taken nyquil to try to get sleep doesn't seem to help much. Warm honey and lemon and cepacol cough drops to no avail. Please help.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking in to the problem I would like to tell you that it is possible that you may be suffering from pneumonia as the cough production is there . Since it is continuing since 1 week I will advise you to consult a physician immediately as you may require a course of antibiotics . A CBC , ESR ,CRP spUtum R/M will be required plus a careful auscultation of chest will give the required clue. Inhalation of steam is highly recommended . It is also that you keep a boiling pot of water near your bed to humidify the environment which will reduce the dryness . Keep yourself hydrated. Take care. Dr. Shruti