What is the treatment for cervical spondylosis ?

My right shoulder continues to feel fatigued and goes numb. It seems like it is a radiating pain from my neck to my shoulder. Any suggestions
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

From the symptoms of numbness and radiating pain from the neck to the shoulder it looks like cervical spondylosis. The other possibility is of muscle strain leading to spasm and compression of nerves.
Diagnosis can be confirmed by MRI spine.
Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer. Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help. Cervical spondolysis also responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars.

It is important to correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting posture or in a standing posture. It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body. Avoid stretching of shoulders, lifting any heavy weights and add diets XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 to daily routine. More severe cases may need steroid injections.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.