What is the treatment for burning sensation mouth and lips after biopsy of lip tissue?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I had biopsy of tissue from my inside bottom lip. Rinsed with Scope for 4-5 days and developed a burning mouth and lips. Changed to non alcoholic and recently stopped that. Yesterday was 4 weeks. I have no sores, no redness. It feels like a very bad sore throat, only it's my whole mouth and lips. It is calmed down when I wake in the morning. It doesn't hurt when I eat, but 1/2 hr to 1 hr later it burns again. Nothing sooths it except antiseptic spray and chewing gum. My dentist treated it as thrush but nystatin didn't help but started to make it burn more.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history carefully and understood your concern. The problems with burning sensation in your mouth could be related to: - thrush (candida infection) - GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux) I'd suggest to do a mouth swab culture to exclude candida infection. If it is candida (thrush), can do mycogram to determine the right antimycotic. However, keep in mind that the improvement needs time to be settled. Although nystatin is good to treat thrush, however, the strains of candida you might be suffering are not sensitive to it, so must change antimycotic (to my experience miconazole or clotrimazole oral gel are more efficient to nystatin). Next, if the dentist excluded other bacterial infection, or other oral problems, then, I'd advise: - to keep proper oral hygiene (I usually recommend washing with water and little salt and soda bicarbonate. You can take 1 coffee-spoon of honey each day and keep it in the mouth as long as you can.) - try to wash your mouth with water after eating - do not lay down immediately after eating - avoid taking too hot or too cold foods All the best! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! Dr.Bardha