Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the treatment for broken frenulum?

The other day I broke my frenulum and I thought it would heal on its on but it hasn't there is no pain but it does not look good I don't no what I should do it looks like it is detached from my penis also someone told me to put neospirin on it so I did and I'm not sure if it was a good idea and it looks like there are little bumps on it I am starting to get really nervous
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Cleansing and exposure would help. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your frenulum. I hope it gets better soon. It is a wound and management consist in cleansing with an antiseptic like Iodine and preventing it from humidity and warm conditions. Also, dry to put on loose and airy under wears. These would help accelerate healing. However, if it should be getting worse with increasing redness and pain, or pus forming around the wound, then you may want to seek specialised wound care in any of the centers around your home. It should be a relatively simple straight on wound care. There is no need for antibiotics at this time. I will also suggest that you refrain from any sexual activity right now until your wound is healed. The bumps around the wound are probably due to irritation cause by the neosporin application and am not too particularly concerned at this time unless something new should come up. I hope this addresses your query fully and offer enough information for you to act on. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for more information and clarifications. Also, you may consider uploading a picture of the wound for a closer evaluation and personalised information. We have this option on our site. I wish you a speedy recovery and the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for broken frenulum? 28 minutes later
Thank you for your answer ..Should I continue to put neospirin on it and where can I see a picture
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: For now, NO Detailed Answer: Hi and tanks for following up with me. For now, there is no point applying neosporin because there are no signs of an infection. Also, because of the irritation and bumps, I will not want that you continue with it. Rather, cleanse and keep dry, airy and moisture free. For the picture, there is a place where you can actually upload an image on your page. Please, look closely or ask the customer care service for help. Whenever it comes through, i will certainly be there to appreciate and get back to you. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: What is the treatment for broken frenulum? 1 hour later
It looks like its not completely detached so you think it would heal completely and is there anything I can do to make it heal faster .. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO Detailed Answer: There is no point in doing so. Keeping it clean and free from germs is the best course of action right now. Please, do not try to be too aggressive with its management as this may rather make the healing process more complicated than not. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for broken frenulum? 4 hours later
Thank you for all your answers. After taking a shower I realized that I think I'm getting a yeast infection by the wound I'm not sure if that's a reaction of the neospirin I put on last night should I be worried about this yeast infection
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Not likely to be a yeast infection Detailed Answer: THanks for following up with me. Please, this is a wound that was caused by you. I do not think it has been super infected already unless there are other concerns you have not mentioned to me. Please, if there are any associated symptoms that you have not reported, please let me know. Neosporin will not cause any yeast infection. That is an impossibility. I wish you a speedy recovery. Please, continue with the measures \we have elaborated above and let's see the progress over the days ahead. Dr. Ditah, MD.