What is the treatment for bleeding nose due to sinus?

May 2014

A few months ago I accidently punched myself on the right side of my nose under my eye (hand slipped from sheets). A few days after that, had a horrible nose bleed for about a week (they lasting 45 minutes or so). SInce then it seems to have stopped until now. I have a sinus infection/cold, so my sinuses are kinda dry though I drink lots of water. I am keeping away from decongestents since it dries me out and causes nose bleeds. Same when I sneeze too much. Is there anything I can do, spray wise or other to keep the nose bleeds from happening until I can get to a new family doctor? The nose bleeds now last about 20 minutes. They feel like my nose is running when they start
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. It is important to get an X ray or CT scan of your sinuses to see if there is any significant injury growth to in your nose or sinuses which is causing the bleeding. If the X ray and CT are normal, you might be having hypertension or any bleeding tendency which needs further investigation and treatment. The main objectives of treating sinus infection is to decrease the inflammation, keep the passages and sinuses draining, treat the infection and eliminate the agent causing it. This can be done in many ways as given below. 1. Saline irrigation: the nasal passages are sprayed with saline and rinsed. 2. Nasal corticosteroid sprays like Flonase, Rhinocort etc. can be inhaled in measured quantities regularly. 3. Oral steroids and injections are given for severe sinusitis in cases where polyps may be causing the block. 4. Nasal decongestant sprays or drops can be taken. These must not be taken for longer periods. 5. Taking oral antibiotics usually helps in controlling any infection. 6. Taking immunomodulators like montelukast works for many patients of chronic sinusitis. 7. If you have had allergy problems then taking oral antihistamine like fexofenadine may help. Treatment choices are many and you may take medications after discussing with your doctor. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: What is the treatment for bleeding nose due to sinus? 8 hours later
Thank you for the answer. Once I actually get a new doctor I will be sure to ask for the scans etc. I am in the process of getting a new doctor since my old one left the practice. It can take up to 30 days for the files ot transfer which is why I am looking for a few things to do in the meantime (my hospital WILL NOT deal with this unless the symptoms are severe). But you also missed my initial question which I will write again. My nosebleeds started WAY before any cold I had now. I can feel a small bump on the side where I injured my nose (which isn't on the other side) but there is also no black and blue - bruising. Though I understand about medicines for a cold/sinus problem, is there any NORMAL things I can do for this injury (as it started as one, the cold came along months later). Ice, water solution, saline solution, etc?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in with an update. I did read your initial question, but thought that you require detailed information for your cold treatment in the earlier query. Some of the causes of nose bleeding include hypertension, bacterial or fungal infections, sinonasal polyps due to allergy, injury and nose picking. Since you have mentioned about the bump, it is important to do the scans to visualized inside the nose and paranasal air sinuses. Applying pressure (pinching) over the nose when you are having might help. You have to gently but firmly hold the nose with your thumb and index finger for a duration of at least five minutes keeping your head upright all the while. Application of ice packs to the nose may also stop the bleeding. Always try to keep the nose at a level higher than the heart. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: What is the treatment for bleeding nose due to sinus? 11 hours later
Okay I have been doing the nose pinching and ice when they happen now. I was just looking for other things to do in the interim until I can get the scans done. It just got bad when the cold came because all the meds I take to help it dry out my nose and sinuses so nose bleeds can happen more. Just looking for things like maybe OTC nose sprays or suggestions to keep the area moist. I've seen things for saline spray and those flushers, but I don't know if they could be a thing to use to help keep the area soft. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, You are welcome and thanks for writing back with an update. Concerning sprays and ointments for use in nasal bleeding there are medications which might help. Oxymetazoline (0.05%) is applied directly to mucous membranes, where it stops bleeding by causing vasoconstriction. Decongestion occurs without drastic changes in blood pressure. Lidocaine (4%) is an anesthetic and works by blocking the transmission of nerve impulses. Lidocaine can be used in combination with oxymetazoline 0.05% to provide effective nasal anesthesia and vasoconstriction. Mupirocin (2%) ointment inhibits bacterial growth and protects form infection. Silver nitrate ointment coagulates reduces bleeding. It also has antibacterial effects. Saline nasal sprays can be safely used to keep the area moist. Please contact your pharmacy for the correct medication and use it as per directions indicated. Hope your query is answered. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Vivek