What is the tingling in my head with short term memory loss?

Apr 2014

In my MRI it states I have scattered punctate foci of t2/flair hyperintensity withinthe hemispheric white matter I have had tingling in my head I am dx with PTSD MDD MAD and I recent had episode of unconscious period after a period of bizarre behavior whitnessed by nurses and dx with a Chiari malformation 1 I have short term memory loss plus the stuff from PTSD flashbacks nightmares flight or fight anger outburst bouts of pure terror and fear I know ptsd changes the brain could it be related to the scattered puncatate foci I was medically retired because of PTSD as a fire ems 911 dispatcher 20 years of responding and answering calls I don't have just one trauma I have years of calls thank you my name is XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MRI findings are not related to PTSD. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX FLAIR or T2 weighted hyper intensities less than five in number in deep white matter of brain can be ignored. Mostly it is due to ischemic changes(decreased blood supply) that involves small blood vessels.However demyelination should also be ruled out with follow up scans.Diabetes mellitus also aggravates the situation. Hyper intensities more than five in number should be the cause of concern and it need investigations. MRI findings are not related to PTSD. You need monitoring of conditions that leads to ischemic changes like hypertension,altered lipid profile,diabetes mellitus. You need investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,ultrasound of abdomen. If there is any more physical problems then it should be treated. You can also consult neurologist for detailed evaluation. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX