What is the surgical procedure for morgagni hernia? What is the recovery time?

I have to.have surgery on a morgagni hernia can you tell me how they would do the procedure and the how long is the recovery time? Please thankyou so much
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: it can be done in different ways Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Morgagni hernia are the rarest of congential diaphragmatic hernias.It occurs because of hernia through an opening that is adjacent to the xiphoid process of the sternum. Most persons are diagnosed late because they either have no or only vague symptoms. Repair of these hernia avoids any possible complications related to the hernia but the timing is important. Normally imaging is done to clarify all the anatomy of the area first. Surgery can be done by laparoscopy or thoracoscopy (where small incision less than 3 cm are made and a scope is inserted, the surgery is done through these small holes) or laparotomy or thoracotomy ( this is the most common surgery method-enter through the chest) where a large incision is made. IN the case of thoracotomy or laparotomy the hospital stay would be 10 to 14 days. In the case of laparoscopy (enter via the abdomen) or thoracoscopy (enter via the chest) the stay is usually 3 to 5 days. It is less because smaller incisions are made. When the incision is made,any adhesions (areas of scar tissue where the herniated contents may be stuck) are incised, the hernia is then reduced which means it pushed back into the abdomen and a mesh is placed over the opening to prevent re herniation. The procedure normally takes about 2 to 3 hours. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions