Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the reson for blood in the urine with high WBC count?

I had my blood drawn yesterday and my Wbc is 19.8 and my br is 90.2 and gr# is 17.9 they tested me for mono myco strep did a UA and a chest xray they only thing that came back was a trace of blood in my urine. They gave me an antibiotic shot and a RX I feel a lot worse today. Should I be worried
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. The normal white blood cell count is from 4-11 and in your case it is 19.8.

This indicates a marked increase in the WBC count and is thus suggestive a bacterial infection.

As you've mentioned that there was a trace of blood in the urine, it is a possible indicator that you might have a stone in the urinary tract and the presence of a stone increases the likelihood of a urinary tract infection.

Hence, I'll suggest you to get an ultrasound or preferably a CT of the kidneys, ureter and bladder to look for a stone. The stone might be causing the abdominal pain also.

A urine culture should also be done to look for the underlying culprit bacteria causing the urinary infection. Please consult a urologist for the same.
Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.