What is the remedy for uneven skin tone on tummy, butt area and back?

Hi there, My problem is uneven skin tone and pigmentation. I basically have a very dry skin and use heavy moisturizer. In certain areas especially on my tummy, butt area, my back the skin has a lot of uneven tone and dimpled skin. Can you please suggest some remedies to even out skin tone and also help with dimpled skin problem. Thanks
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pigmentation skin Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX See your main concern is that of skin pigmentation and excessive dryness. Now as far as the excess dryness of skin is concerned, I would like to tell you that the type of skin one has is basically determined by ones genetic make up. So all we can do is to try and keep it as hydrated as possible. You should regularly oil your skin atleast after bath each time. Use generous amount of moisturizers over the skin atleast twice a day. Use soap free cleansers for taking bath as these do not cause excess dryness and have hydrating properties. Now as far as the pigmentation of skin is concerned, To tell you simple facts about these dark areas- There are two important factors involved in the darkness of these areas: 1. The pigmentation at these areas is genetically determined. To tell you simply, the darkness is due to the activity of melanocytes in the skin. These melanocytes are the cells which regularly produces color/pigment known as melanin in the skin. These are superficially present in the upper skin known as epidermis. This is a tendency in ourselves to get higher activity of these melanocytes at the genital area and over arm pits according to our genetic make up. That is why it is seen on higher side in people of Asiatic origin than in white population. 2. Secondly these areas are further darkened by the process known as "Post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" or PIH. The aforesaid areas are prone for friction and rubbing from opposing surface of skin by thighs and lower abdominal wall. This is type of repeated injury to the skin which causes over production of melanin in the skin. This pigmentation is known as "Post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" or PIH. It is more commonly seen in persons who are overweight or obese side and if somebody is using some kind of deodorants or antiperspirant agents. So the important of the fact is- if it is form short period of time then is superficial and gets reduced in few weeks to months or if it is form long period of time then may take multiple of months or even more to get reduced. As these areas are quite sensitive so can not apply any cream which is available over the counter as can cause burning and further aggravation of the condition. There are certain medication which helps out in reducing and reducing the pigment in short period of time. For this in my opinion you can use a cream ( under dermatological supervision) containing Kojic acid with arbutin and mulberry extract in it. Alternatively Azelaic acid gel can be applied over the affected area of pigmentation. These are one of the best and safest creams to be applied. Apply any of these creams in a very thin layer at night time only so that these should not be visible to naked eye. Apply at night time before sleeping. If you are overweight then it is advised to reduce your weight. Stay in cool places. Avoid heat and humidity thereby friction at the areas which are one of the important aggravating factor in increasing the pigmentation. Diet is also quite important in reducing the pigmentation. Good diet not only helps in renewing the skin better as well as works best to protect our skin. You can eat a lot fruits and green leafy vegetables in your daily schedule. I hope this information will help you in getting rid of pigmentation marks.I will be glad to reply any further queries. I wish best and early recovery, With regards, Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What is the remedy for uneven skin tone on tummy, butt area and back? 3 hours later
I was told by a doctor that I should use a cream with urea. Can you recommend such a cream.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Dryness of skin Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX See using a urea based cream will help in reducing the scaling of skin which means the white dryness of skin that is seen will reduce but again you cannot keep using it forever . It is also just a temporary measure and will help in reducing the dryness as long as you use it. So you can use it intermittently, maybe in winters when the dryness is more. Dr Geetika Paul