What is the remedy for swollen and red eyelid ?

My upper eyelid is swollen and red! What do I do?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 48 minutes later

Thanks for your query. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Did the red, swollen eyelid appear all of a sudden?
2)     Is it present on both the eyelids?
3)     Is there any accompanying redness and itching of the eyes?
4)     Is there presence of any lump or tenderness on the eyelid?

From the symptoms and history, two important possibilities are coming to my mind. One is of any allergic reaction and the second is of blepharitis. Blepharitis is an inflammation of the upper eyelid in response to any infection or allergy.
Apply warm compresses on the eyelid and keep the area clean with frequent washing. Also avoid applying any eye makeup till the symptoms get resolved. Check the date of the eye makeup and if they are too old, then replace it with new one. If there is no visible improvement, antibiotic ointments may need to be prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. Please do get back with these answers so that we can help you in a better way. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What is the remedy for swollen and red eyelid ? 1 hour later
Yes the redness appeared all if the sudden when I woke up this morning. The swelling has gone down a lot! It is mostly in my left eye with just a small patch of red in the right eyelid. It is all the way across slight red on my left eyelid. There is no bump in either eye. Just swollen in the left eyelid. I still have cold symptoms and I am on Amoxicylin for 2 more days. I have been washing it and using a warm compress very frequently. I used a new cream on my face last night after washing my makeup off. So maybe that's what it was? But I do not recall using it near my eyes. Is that still possible? I replace all of my makeup very frequently, and have been using the same products for months. With the exception of last night. I used a new brand of bar soap to wash my face and a new night cream.
Please let me know.
The swelling has gone down a lot as well as the overall redness.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The inflamed and swollen eyelids which you have got are most likely due to an allergic reaction which could possibly be due to either the bar soap or the cream. Using some anti-allergic pills like levocetirizine after consulting your GP.

Avoid using the bar soap and the cream in future. Use mild soap to cleanse your face and apply a hypoallergenic non-perfumed moisturizer.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: What is the remedy for swollen and red eyelid ? 2 hours later
Is it normal for the redness to last all day? When should it clear up if I don't take any allergy medicine?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

This redness may persist for whole day because whenever there is an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis to new products, skin inflammation may occur as a result of irritation to the skin or as an allergic response to the chemical.

It may clear up even without antiallergic medication if you don's use the same soap and cream again but using antiallergic drugs will speed up the process of healing. However some antiallergic medicines do cause drowsiness, so they should be taken after a doctor's guidance.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.