What is the remedy for severe leg cramps during night?

I frequently have severe leg cramps at night causing me to get up and walk it off. This has been going on for over fifty years but does not seem to happen every night. i have tried taking potassium and extra magnesium with relief sometimes. these cramps can be in either leg and move from one part to another.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Take adequate minerals and Vitamins supplements Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. Nocturnal leg cramps usually occur due to:- - electrolyte imbalance, - dehydration, - deficiency of Calcium, Vitamins E, Thiamine and B12 (methylcobalamine) which cause nerves' abnormalities. - Some drugs also cause leg cramps. Please let me know if you are taking any medication at present. Other causes include - Diabetes, and - Thyroid problem (Hypothyroidism). I would therefore recommend that you get the following lab workup done:- # Kidney function tests, to rule out/detect impaired kidney functions, which can cause electrolyte imbalance. # Thyroid hormones levels Profile to exclude/diagnose thyroid disorder # Blood calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 levels to detect low levels, if any. # Workup for Diabetes. I would therefore recommend that you take the following supplements :- 1. Potassium and Magnesium 2. Calcium with adequate Vitamin D3 (calcitriol) 3. Thiamine (50-100mg/day) and Vitamin B12 (1500mcg/day) 4. Vitamin E 5. Plenty of water daily (at least 2.5-3 liters) Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal