What is the remedy for insomina due to muscle spasm and cramps?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I TAKE 3-4 MG ANTIVAN DAILY,30 MG REMERON, SERTRALINE 100MG DAILY. I ALSO TAKE SIMVASTATIN, CELEBREX FOR ARTHRITIS, METOPROLOL(50MG) AND LOSARTAN (50MG). WHY IS CARISOPRODOL 2-350MG TABLET SUCH A HASSLE IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAS I CAN GET SOME SLEEP? AMBIEN AND LUNESTRA HAVE NO AFFECT ON ME AT ALL!! I TRIED USING NO SLEEP AID FOR 4 DAYS LAST WEEK AND FELL ASLEEP ONCE FOR ABOUT 3 HRS DURING THE DAY. DURING THAT TIME MY BODY ACHED FROM HEAD TO TOE.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Activities that might help prevent muscle spasms: Detailed Answer: Hi, Cause for you improper sleep seems to be due to muscle spasm and cramps. CARISOPRODOL 2 is a muscle relaxant, so you might get good muscle relaxation after taking this. AMBIEN AND LUNESTRA are sleeping pills , not effective in muscle spasm. Focus yourself to prevent muscle spasm. Activities that might help prevent muscle spasms include: • Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration • Stretching your thigh muscles or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes • Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice • Walking or jiggling the leg • Taking a hot shower or warm bath • These cramps at times may be associated with POTASSIUM deficiency and so foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit are to be taken as dietary supplement. • Also, calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle pain & spasm. • Avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium leading to muscle aches & muscle fatigue. Hope this helps you.