What is the remedy for frequent cold, cough and wheezing?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello Doctor, Male 26 here from Chennai, india. I get wheezing and all the cold related symptoms in the month of november , december and january.. Lets say in cold weather conditions. I also get it sometimes in the other seasons too. Other than this , most of the mornings i wake up with congested nose or coughing(through out the year).i get cold often too. i was prescribed to use seroflo 250 inhaler . I used it for 4-5 weeks and stopped it as i got muscle cramps , throat sores and palpitation. But seroflo helped me with my wheezing conditions.One of my doctor mentioned that i have stage 2 asthma.last few days i had been very difficult for me , waking up at midnight with cough and heavy wheezing. also last few months i have been very dull and i am getting cold very often. Kindly give your opinion on my conditions and what i should do as a next step? Thanks XXXXX
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: you may have allergic rhinitis with asthma Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. What I feel is, you have allergic rhinitis with asthma. In 80% cases of asthma there can be concomitant allergic rhinitis and reverse is true in 50%. This time it feels that you have acute exacerbation of the symptom. At this juncture you may take a short course of steroid like prednisolone 40 mg per day for 1 week along with inhaled bronchodilator containing formoterol and budesonide twice daily and inhaled salbutamol as needed. At the same time you must use steroid plus azelastine nasal spray to treat allergic rhinitis. If you are bringing out yellowish sputum it will be a good to have a course of antibiotic too. Best wishes

Follow-up: What is the remedy for frequent cold, cough and wheezing? 10 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thank you very much for your answer. Could you please explain a bit on these parts, inhaled bronchodilator containing formoterol and budesonide twice daily and inhaled salbutamol as needed --> Is this similar to seroflo ? does it need a rotacap inhaler .too? I have asthalin 2mg with me , can i take it or seperate inhaler type medicine is required ? At the same time you must use steroid plus azelastine nasal spray to treat allergic rhinitis --> Is this the same steroid as prednisolone 40 mg or it has to be a content in the nasal spray ? yellowish sputum is very rare. What would you suggest as a long term course of medicines to cure this ? i have plans to visit european countries next year. Is it advice-able ? Thanks XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: follow the advice Detailed Answer: Thanks for follow up. Seroflo has salmeterol and fluticasone. I have advised formoterol and budesonide. These molecules are different and have same mechanism of action as seroflo. They come as brand name foracort 400. Asthalin 2 mg is outdated these days....better go for asthalin inhaler and use it if you have symptoms despite taking foracort 400. Azelastine fluticasone spray (comes as brand name duonase nasal spray) is needed for allergic rhinitis and has to be taken at least for 3 months. Prednisolone tablet 30 mg has to be take orally for a short course of 7 daysa only and if you have acidity due to this take omeprazole 40 mg once a day with this. Benefit of inhaled medicine is their far lesser dose (in microgramsa) as compared to oral drugs and also they are deliverd to the site of action that is lung directly bypassing the whole body absorption. Once this acute phase is over continue foracort and duonase... Best wishes

Follow-up: What is the remedy for frequent cold, cough and wheezing? 27 minutes later
Thank you Doctor , Have a good day!

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks and best wishes Detailed Answer: Thanks and best wishes...