What is the remedy for constant coughing in child ?

My 3 year old has had a worsening cough for about a week now. My mother in law thinks that it is asthma, but i have no experience with this. In the past we have tried ventalin (on doctors orders) when he has had a cough, but he has not actually been diagnosed with asthma. My boy is now coughing almost every few minutes and he has today started losing his voice. He says his throat doesnt hurt, should i be worried? Also should he be going to daycare?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 31 minutes later

First of all continuous coughing in a 3 year old child needs examination and treatment.

As you have not mentioned he must not have fever.Means chances of infection are less.

He seems to be having bronchitis.Bronchitis means inflammation of air ways which leads to their sensitization and narrowing of it, resulting in to continuous cough due to breathing difficulty.This can happen because of some food,some allergy or infection.

It is difficult to stamp him as asthma patient with sporadic episodes.In case of asthma without regular medication he should have continuous symptoms which hampers his day to day activity and playing.Bronchitis is more likely.

At present he will need bronco dilators like ventalin which you have given to him in past.Most importantly he must have medical examination to confirm the diagnosis and have treatment accordingly.

In mean time give him plenty of fluids,light diet,avoid cold drinks and chocolates.

I hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up.