What is the remedy for chronic recurrent discomfort in my stomach?

I have had this chronic recurrent discomfort in my stomach which always interrupts my daily life. I don't smoke nor do I drink. I don't have good eating habits.I generally eat cafeteria food or fast food. I am currently facing a lot of discomfort in my stomach. I have gotten various opinions from various doctors. Some say acid re flux others gas or infection.I just want a permanent solution to this problem
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please elaborate your symptoms... Detailed Answer: Hi, You seem to be facing a chronic medical complaint. I wish you could elaborate your complaints more - what type of discomfort, which part of abdomen is affected (in relation to umbilicus), its relation to food, presence of aggravating and relieving factors and other associated complaints. It would also help if you can also specify what tests and treatment you have already done yet. I hope I get a complete account of your problem in the follow up. Awaiting your response... Regards
Follow-up: What is the remedy for chronic recurrent discomfort in my stomach? 14 minutes later
Hi, I get this feeling of discomfort (irritation) and not like searing pain.Earlier I used to get heart burn as well. The pain is not specific to any area. When i am lying down I don't feel any pain but when I get up/stand up the discomfort slowly starts to increase. I am also suffering from a little cold. I dont think its a muscle pain but If feel its acid reflux as it is the one thing that I have had a problem with for a very long time. This started when I had peanuts khakras and Chana after dinner.The pain is sometimes just below where the center of the rib cage ends. Can you suggest what kind of tests will help me narrow down the problem even further?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Probably related to acid peptic disease.... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is usually not serious when the symptoms are only mild discomfort and no pain and other symptoms unless it progress to severe uncomfortable pain with associated complaints of nausea, vomiting, weight loss and blood stools. Since you describe very minimal discomfort just below the rib case in relation to spicy food, it is most likely to be related to acid peptic disease - gastritis/acid reflux. Since your complaints are long standing ones, recent / recurring episodes of cold are not related. I would order for an ultrasound abdomen as well as endoscopy as the first set of investigations if you were my patient. Off course you would need to visit a gastroenterologist who can perform endoscopies to confirm this condition. He/she would examine you and include other tests as needed. Overall, I don't think this is something serious. Please visit a gastroenterologist and plan the solution. Hope this helps. Regards
Follow-up: What is the remedy for chronic recurrent discomfort in my stomach? 5 hours later
Hi, Thanks Doc. I'll do as you say. One final question. What kind of food should I avoid and what sort of food should I consume if it is gastritis, to avoid such discomforting situations. Thanks Again.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 38 hours later
Brief Answer: Low spicy and regular food... Detailed Answer: Apologies for the late reply... Food regulations are to be individualized; you should probably know what food doesn't suit you and avoid them as much as possible. The general guidelines are" 1. Foremost, practice eating at regular intervals. You tend to have more discomfort and gastritis if your meal timings are disarranged. Make sure you set your time table right and eat accordingly. 2. Avoid too spicy and too hot foods. 3. Restrict beverages - coffee / tea consumption. If you love to drink them, prefer green tea or other other herbal drinks. 4. Dark chocolates, mints, refined flour, alcohol, smoking, citric fruits, unripe fruits, tomato, fried chicken, ground beef, deep fried foods, etc., are common food items that induce gastritis. Please verify with your list and restrict them if needed. Hope this helps. Regards