What is the remedy for abdominal pain?

I started on wednesday with a dull pain in in my left side lower abdomen and felt generally unwell by Thursday night it was a severe pain which kept me awake all night. I also had an itchy skin on the same side but on my back. The doctor gave me antibiotics on Friday morning and said I had a water infection. I stayed in bed on Friday felt really ill lot of pain etc took antibiotics paracetamol and codeine. I started to feel a bit better in myself today but the pain is no better especially at night and the rash is worse although only over the left side area of my back.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Herpes Zoster ( Shingles ) Detailed Answer: Hi Presence of one sided pain followed by one sided rash points towards the possibility of Herpes Zoster (Shingles) as the cause. Exact diagnosis will depend on visual examination of the lesion. Without an opportunity to examine the rash, I would not be able to label possibility as diagnosis. I would urge you to meet your physician and discuss about it. You might be advised the following set of treatment: 1. Local care of the lesion: Application of Local antibiotic antibiotic like framycetin may be helpful in preventing secondary bacterial infection. Also ointment containing aluminium acetate may be helpful. 2. Control of itching: Anti-histaminic like Pheniramine maleate will be beneficial 3. Pain management: Pregabalin is quite effective in management of pain. 4. Antiviral therapy: After confirmation of diagnosis, initiation of antiviral therapy may decrease the pain and help in resolution of lesion. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: What is the remedy for abdominal pain? 2 days later
Thankyou it has been confirmed it is Shingles but as I am away from home staying with my son could you tell me how long the rash usually lasts I am aware the pain can go on much longer
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: rash may persist for 1 to 2 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings The rash can persist from 7 to 14 days. Initiation of antiviral therapy with Acyclovir can lead to quick resolution. Pain may persist for variable time. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: What is the remedy for abdominal pain? 18 hours later
Thank you again, the other thing that is troubling me with this is a swollen stomach is this a normal reaction the pain is on the left side of my stomach and goes through to my back and the rash is like a band around the area but my stomach is very swollen. This is adding to the discomfort and I just wondered if it is normal Thanks again for your help Angie
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 7 hours later
Brief Answer: There is no cause for concern Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Swollen stomach and bloating is normal reaction to intense pain due to Shingles. There is no cause for concern. Taking combination of Pantoprozole+ Domperidone which is a gastric motility will be help. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha