What is the reason of sudden increase in fasting sugar and abdomen pain after taking Glycomet?

I am 64 years old. My sugar level for the past two years was 110 to 125 (fasting) and 150 to 160 after food. My family Dr. used to tell me to do exercise and diet control, which I used to strictly follow. Two days back another Dr. who prescribed me GLYCOMET-500 SR for taking after breakfast and dinner. After taking this tablet suddenly my fasting sugar has gone up-to 135. Also I got a very mild pain in abdomen (left side top portion). Can you please tell me what is the reason of sudden increase in fasting sugar to 130 to 1235
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Glycomet is unlikely to be the cause of raised FBS Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern. You been having a fairly decent control of blood sugar. Glycomet SR that contains metformin lowers insulin resistance thereby reduces both fasting as well as post prandial blood sugar. And based on my experience it is unlikely to be responsible for the high fasting blood sugar. As we discuss about glycomet, you should know that fasting blood sugar is a live blood sugar recording reflecting sugar activity last night and the current morning. A marginal 10 units rise is most likely to something you ate last night. Perhaps a high calorie intake may be the cause. Get back to your strict diet control and recheck blood sugars after a week or as per your doctor's instruction. That being said, glycomet may or may not be responsible for the abdominal pain. It is reported to disturb digestion function. Over the due course of time you should start to tolerate it well. I would suggest you to try proton pump inhibitor such as prilosec OTC and see if you feel better. If the pain persist / worsen after a week, report to your doctor. You also need to know glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1c) is a better investigation than Fasting / post prandial sugar to know about your sugar control. It's an average sugar recording of last 3 months blood sugar. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards