What is the reason of flushing sensation in the upper cheek ?

For the last month or so, I have had a different sensation of the left side of my face. Mainly the upper cheek. It is not painful, but an almost flushing feeling. It seems to become pronounced when I am nervous or panicky. Other than that I experienced a bout of dizziness 4 years ago and one a few months ago after having a baby. That subsided but I went to the primary care doctor because I started to obsess about this feeling on the side of my face that comes and goes. If I am busy and distracted, I often do not notice it. Anyway, my doctor sent me for an brain MRI withOUT contrast and this was the impression;
No acute intracranial abnormality. Two small nonspecific foci of hyperintense signal within the XXXXXXX white matter of the left posterior frontal lobe, measuring 4mm, and may be the result of a prior infectious or inflammatory process or less likely a prior small vessel ischemic event.

I am a 35 year old female. I have a 12 year smoking history, yet have not smoked for 7 years. I do not drink alcohol. I am seeing a neuro next week. What do you think this is? MS? Also, what will my nuero do from here in terms of testing??
Thank you!
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later

First regarding the sensation on the face , i feel it is more psychological than abnormal sensation.

But you have to confirm by testing your face clinically.

Secondly two episodes of dizziness look to situational syncope. There are numerous causes for syncope.

You might also be having anemaia (low haemoglobin levels) since dizziness following child birth.Continue taking your iron and calcium tablets following child birth.

One must do basic tests like Lipid profile,Complete blood tests, ECG, ECHO to rule out cardiac problems.

Lastly based on the MRI findings given to me, you don't have MS.

These changes can be seen in any normal person sometimes.

Also these can occur if some one has a vascular diseases like hypertension, cardiac disease and other risk factors like smoking.

So you require investigations to rule out the above problems. If they are negative, you need to be under follow up and no treatment is requires. So do not worry as you don't have MS.

Hope i answered your query.I will be available for follow up.