What is the reason for swelling in cheek after injury with itching and discharge?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Sir/Madam, I have a swelling in the left cheek of mine.Basically i hit my laptop bag trolley level in high force.Post that i started developing the swelling in the cheek.I consulted a dentist he & his oral surgeon had look and asked to me get a CT scan done to eliminate the suspicious of cancer because of my tobacco chewing history which i have quit 4 months ago.I used chew tobacco on my right cheek only. i did CT scan and Pathology doctor called me in for a check up and he analyzed and told me it is because of a trauma and infection is spread, 98% his confirmation was for a trauma based swelling even tough my tobacco history was informed by my dentist to pathology doctor in CT scan prescription. Post the result my dentist told me the results were good and we need to do a blood test result.My blood test results are also normal and now they have asked me to go for biopsy and if that is not confirmed the i may need to go for PT scanning. I'm prescribed with 02 antibiotic and a pain killer and ice pack and was told that it will take at least 45 days to fully recover.My swelling has not spread it is still, while eating or laughing it pains.Sometime i have itchy feeling from outside,i bleed sometime with blood and sometime some yellow liquid. I don't have any change in voice or sore throat etc. Could someone please advise me on my health condition, based on the diagnosis done so far. Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise you to do PET scan. Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case As per your symptoms there is possibility of oral sub mucus fibrosis which is a precancerous condition due to tobacco chewing. Yes if trauma was significant then can lead to such picture. I will advise you to do PET scan to detect any abnormality in early stage. I will advise to check your B 12 and Liver function test via blood. Physiotherapy exercises for jaw will help in early recovery, so you can start it after 1 week. Continue eating bland diet. Till time continue your medication. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.