What is the reason for feeling gassy and bulging of waist?

I have been very gassy and now I see when I sit down a bulging area right waist area about 4"" long.No pain and soft to touch.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Bulging of the waist only because of excessive bowel gas is a possibility but if there is a well demarcated bulging in our abdominal wall, i would suggest you to go for an ultrasound scan to rule out any other pathology that might be present.
Severe flatulence is a chronic problem and prevention is the best treatment.The main factors responsible for indigestion are-
2. Eating hurriedly without chewing properly.
3.Food allergies like beans, onions, etc.
4.Lack of exercise.
5. Improperly cooked food.
Try to avoid all these causative factors.
Avoid overindulging in alcohol, drinking carbonated beverages or eating while stressed, since all of these can just worsen the problems
Stop smoking and lose weight if you need to.
•     For heart burn- Eat papaya.(contains an enzyme called papain), XXXXXXX cider vinegar, eating an ounce of almonds, etc will help.
•     For treatment of indigestion- Pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger juice, grapes, etc may be taken after every meal for relief.Otherwise take antacids and digestive enzymes on regular basis for relief.
Certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.
Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What is the reason for feeling gassy and bulging of waist? 18 hours later
I actually expected more in depth answer. Could I have pulled exterior oblique muscle, what are the other pathologys that could cause this. In a.m. area is not as swollen.Area is on side right below rib cage and just above hip, about 5' from navel right side and wraps around abd- small amt back.No pain or discomfort other then I am constipated.I would like your opinions.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A buldged area below the right rib cage specially evident on sitting can be an enlarged liver or due to excessive gut distension. You need to rule out constipation also. If the buldge seems superficial, then lipoma might be a possibility. Pulled exterior oblique muscles is not on the top of my list.
You need to get the buldge examined as sometimes it becomes very difficult to express an opinion without actually examining a patient. You also need to get an ultrasound of abdomen done to rule out enlarged liver.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.