What is the reason for chest pain and shortness of breath?

I have been having this pain in the middle of my chest since last night. Right in the center. Not a crippling pain it just feels like something is squeezing my heart or blocking it. I feel light headed and a little dizzy but it doesnt prevent me from working or doing what i have to do daily. i'm 18 years old so i dont think its a heart attack, but what is it. its really getting me worried. a couple weeks ago my heart would beat strange like if 2 stop for a second and i would have 2 catch my breath. now this dull pain in the chest. WHAT IS IT?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 36 minutes later

The commonest causes for a kind of chest pain you have is either Acid peptic disease or Cardiac involvement.

Considering your age and the history of frequent consumption of antibiotics I would suspect the acid peptic illness being the most probable cause in you .The symptoms like , head ache ,nausea,increased heart rate and breathlessness can also be expected with the acid peptic disease.

The acid peptic illness like Gastric ulcer or GERD ( reflux acidity) could be the chance here.A Upper GI endoscopy can confirm the same.

I would advice you to take tab Prilosec 20mg one in early morning before food for a week and observe the symptom.If there is any increase in the pain over time ( say hours ) do visit ER and get a EKG to be on safer side .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.