What is the purple coloured lump at the anus opening?

I have a small pea like lump right in the opening of my anus. Its bluey purple in colour and causing a bit of discomfort. its uncomfortable for me to sit down. its fine when i stand what is it
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

What you have is called a hemorrhoid. It is a small swollen blood vessel that has become inflammed. Most hemorrhoids will go away with supportive care an over the counter remedies. I recommend you take some nice warm baths twice daily to soothe the area. Also you can buy some hemorrhoid cream over the counter at a local pharmacy and apply it to the lump three or 4 times per day. A typical hemorrhoid will resolve in a week or two.

I really hope my response has been adequate and helpful for you. Thank you again for your query. I am available for your followups.

Dr. Robert.

Follow-up: What is the purple coloured lump at the anus opening? 22 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I had a similar problem about 10 year ago my doctor said it was an external hemorrhoid but it look different what I mean is it was like a small flesh looking lump not bluey purple and it was outside my anus. Not like what I have now just inside. What is the difference?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Hello again.

Hemorrhoids can be external, XXXXXXX or borderline between the two. Also, the hemorrhoid itself is a swollen vein and if it becones "thrombosed" it can look bluish. It will still likely resolve with the supportive treatments I have recommended. If for some reason it does not, you could have your doctor take a look and render an opinion.

I hope this has been helpful for you once again.

Dr. Robert.