What is the problem if I have low appetite and headaches?

Hi, I've got hot and cold flushes, headaches (sinus and top of my head) and no matter how much water I drink, I'm finding it hard to pee clear. My appetite is very low. I was at a wedding on Saturday and was dancing, I sweated more than I've ever done before and the following morning felt as if I was beat up. Three weeks ago I had what I think was food poisoning, and haven't fully recovered since. What might it be?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 30 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It sounds from what you submitted that you suffered from dehydration both from the potential food poisoning and also from the dancing. Vigorous dancing and sweating can cause the body to lose liters of water and electrolytes. It can take days and sometimes weeks to fully recover from this became it is truly a shock to your system. Dehydration affects all of the cells in your body and can make you feel profoundly weak and tired.

Aggressive hydration with liquids which contain water, glucose and electrolytes are recommended. This helps replace the water and salt lost by sweating or through gastrointestinal losses in the setting of food poisoning.

I would focus on the hydration as well as maintaining a diet with a balance of complex carbs, protein and some fats as well. A good multivitamin would be advised as well to be taken daily. If you continue to feel fatigued beyond the next 3 to 4 days, I recoend you visit with your GP for an assessment.

Thanks again for your query. I hope you've found my answer to be both adequate and informative. Should you have additional concerns I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert