What is the potential exposure to HIV after sex without intercourse?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
hello Doctor, I am 38 year old male and 2 weeks back while getting a massage I fingered the masseuse and in return got hand job from her,no oral, vaginal or anal sex involved. What is the risk of contracting HIV from this exposure? Do I need testing? IsHiv duo test conclusive at 4 weeks?
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 6 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV exposure and risk code Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I understand your concern regarding potential exposure to HIV and I would like to explain about the exposure code followed for HIV to relieve your anxiety regarding the same. Exposure to blood, body fluids, other potentially infectious materials or an instrument contaminated with one of the substances of an HIV infected individual is considered as potential exposure. There are three exposure codes - EC1, EC2, EC3 based on the type of exposure and volume of exposure. EC1 - Exposure code 1 is of minimum risk and does not require any testing. This is exposure to intact skin and to minimum volume of infectious fluid. EC2 - this is moderate risk and potential exposure can be ruled out by testing. This is exposure to large volume of infectious fluid and skin is compromised or there is exposure to mucous membranes. EC3 - High risk and is usually percutaneous exposure meaning needle prick with contaminated needle (infected with HIV) Risk also depends upon the HIV status of the individual you are exposed to. Coming to the details in your query, if you have had exposure to intact skin then you have had a EC1 type of exposure. The HIV status of the masseuse is not mentioned in the query. HIV duo test tests for both antigens and antibodies and is considered to be one of the good tests to be done after 4 weeks of exposure. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please get back if any other doubts, Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the potential exposure to HIV after sex without intercourse? 7 hours later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for your answer, i had intact skin when i fingered the vagina and there was no vaginal secretion on her hand when she performed handjob on me, the only thing i am not sure is i may have touched my penis after removing fingers from vagina for a second or two. The hiv status of the woman is unknown, do you think I still need a test? And the duo test if negative is conclusive at 4 weeks.?

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 14 hours later
Brief Answer: EC1 type of exposure Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Yours seems to be EC1 type of exposure, and the HIV status of the woman is unknown. So that puts you in a minimal risk category and usually no testing is required for this category. Testing is required if the HIV status of the person you are exposed to is unknown and comes from a population where there is high prevalence of HIV (for example, commercial sex workers). I would suggest you undergo the duo test at 4 weeks and if it turns out negative, it would be conclusive of your HIV negative status. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the potential exposure to HIV after sex without intercourse? 1 hour later
Ok,thanks for your answer doctor, but assuming the woman was HIV positive, what are the odds of me catching the infection from the exposure i had? Since there was no form of penetrative sex involved.

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 37 hours later
Brief Answer: Percentage of HIV risk in EC1 type of exposure Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. The percentage of developing HIV after EC1 type of exposure is almost nil. EC2 exposure has risk of about 0.09% of HIV transmission if the status of person exposed to is confirmed HIV positive. EC3 exposure has high risk of HIV transmission and is about 0.3%. In your case assuming that the woman is HIV positive, if skin is intact and volume of exposure is low, it is still EC1 type of exposure. I suggested the HIV testing to confirm the HIV negative status. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the potential exposure to HIV after sex without intercourse? 11 days later
Hello Doctor, Got my HIV duo test result at 29 days from exposure and it was non reactive, index value 0.08 , can you conclude I am HIV negative and no more testing required? Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 5 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV negative status Detailed Answer: Hi, You are HIV negative. HIV duo test tests for both antigen and antibodies and if it is non reactive, then it confirms your HIV negative status. No more testing required. Please use precautions during intercourse with a partner whose sexual history is not known. Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the potential exposure to HIV after sex without intercourse? 8 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, wish you a very happy new year :)

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you and happy new year to you too. Wishing you a healthy life ahead. Thanks.