Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the pink tissue passed in urine?

I recently had an ovarian cyst removed and a myomectomy, it was about a month ago. Ever since then I have been passing small pieces of pink tissue in my urine. I am wondering what this could be. I did develop a few UTI post surgery which I was treated for using antibiotics. Should I follow up with a urologist or is this normal after these procedures. I cant seem to get a straight answer from my surgeon.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later

Passing pink pieces of tissue in urine can either be due to mild remnants of tissue mixed with blood coming from your uterus after myomectomy which are coming along with urine or it indicates a recurrent urinary infection or calculus which can be differentiated only by urine examination and an ultrasound scan.

A careful examination is the most integral part to differentiate from where this tissue is coming.
Your surgeon will be the best person to differentiate this.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What is the pink tissue passed in urine? 1 hour later
Thanks very much, I discussed this with my surgeon several times and I am not getting a straight answer. Does it make sense to followup with a urologist to get a conclusive answer. I asked if it could be some tissue from all the fibroids that were removed and the answer was NOOOO. His follow-up is not the best.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Consulting a urologist will help you then. Recurrent UTIs can have detrimental effects on kidneys causing mild pink pieces that you are passing.

Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.