What is the permanent cure for hair loss and itching sensation on scalp?

Jan 2014

Hi... i have a problem with hair loss. i see that my hair line is receding.. and this happened in just two months time.. i workout a lot as a result i sweat allover my body.. im having a lot of itching sensation on my scalp.. i have tried shampoos but i don't see any results. Now my hair is thinner and i am worried i will get bald within the next year. My friends have suggested me to use KZ lotion, after which a massage to the scalp with Dabur amla oil. But i need professional help here. Please suggest
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Androgenetic Alopecia with Seborrhoeic Dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of Androgenetic alopecia with Seborrhoeic dermatitis of the scalp(dandruff) Thinning and receding hair line in males is classical of Male pattern Androgenetic Alopecia (MAGA) also simply known as Androgenetic alopecia. Scalp hairs are genetically programmed for progressive thinning under the influence of hormones (Testosterone). Hair loss has a pattern to it in these kinds of hair loss e.g Teens usually have some Temporal recession which is then followed by deepening of Temporal recession (the earliest stage of Male Hair Loss) leading further to early hair loss in the crown (vertex) and later to further frontal hair loss and enlargement of vertex and so on... By this time people usually become concerned about their receding hair line. Treatment modalities include Topical Minoxodil 5% solution and oral finasteride. Their are well controlled trials and US FDA approval for them for this kind of hair loss in males. Finasteride is reported to have a side effect of decreased libido in just 1 - 2% of patients and that too early into therapy. This side effect goes away in almost all patients on continued therapy. Its a reversible side effect (means if you feel that your libido is affected then you can stop it). Your can discuss more about this from your treating dermatologist. Saw-palmetto extract is also recommended for this kind of hair loss(it is also 5 alpha reductase inhibitor) and it is claimed in a few studies that are available that it is free from this side effect of decreased libido. Their are many preparations available on prescription of a dermatologist. Treatment of Male pattern hair loss is long term but gives good results if started at an early stage so that hair loss is not allowed to progress any further (any new hair that grows with this therapy is complementary). Therefore it is imperative that you begin therapy as soon as possible so that your hair fall can be arrested before its too late. I would advice that you consult a dermatologist and have a face to face discussion keeping all these points in mind. I am here to help you out with any further clarifications. You can continue with the lotion (Kz) for dandruff/Seborrhoeic dermatitis. Oiling of scalp has no role in Androgenetic alopecia. Oiling will in fact increase the dandruff and itching, so it is not recommended. Hope this information helps you take care Dr. kakkar