What is the pattern of secretion of adrenal androgens?

Pediatrician, Neonatology

What is the pattern of secretion of adrenal androgens.....does a measured amount during a lab test indicate a 'one off ' secretion or a number of seperate secretions/bursts? Hope you can make me understand .Thanks for your advice in advance.

Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to HCM

I find that you are asking very interesting questions from morning about Cortisol,ACTH and now adrenal androgens!!!

Are you a Clinical Researcher or allied health professional?

In this forum where we usually give clinical advice and guidelines for investigations and management,I wonder whether we can answer to your satisfaction.

However I will try!

The DHEAS concentration is usually stable through out the day and can be measured any time of the day .
The timing of the test does not affect the test.
So this means that it is not secreted in pulses.

This is unlike cortisol.
Cortisol is highest after waking and very low at bedtime.

ACTH is tested usually in the morning at about 8 am and has circadian rhythm like cortisol.

Its levels are opposite to that of ACTH.
But your questions of how many pulses in children ,I can not answer. Sorry!

All the best
Dr Uma

Follow-up: What is the pattern of secretion of adrenal androgens? 2 days later
DEAR Doctor,

I read somewhere that HPA maturation during adrenarche leads to HPG maturation after approx 2 years in a boys. What is the reason for this, is it due to cortisol secretion?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 41 minutes later

It seems logical to think like this!
But literature mentions that in pubertal development adrenarche can start around 6- 9 years but the effect on height increase continues well into teens and even up to 20 years.
So both axis are emerging into new patterns of regulations and growth. There is great variation in individuals in this timing ,rate of change and coordination of these changes .
There is role or leptin and insulin sensitivity which seem to be associated with HPG axis.

Dr Uma
Follow-up: What is the pattern of secretion of adrenal androgens? 12 minutes later
Thank you for the feedback,

Are adrenal androgen levels seen after onset of adrenarche sufficient enough to halp stimulate maturation of HPG axis?

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 59 minutes later
usually yes but rarely can be no, especially in girls eg turner's syndrome where adrenarche is not necessarily followed by gonadarchy.

You can refer to the article in European journal of Endocrinology
August 1, 2011 for more analysis.

Good luck
Dr Uma