What is the normal measurement for Nerve conduction studies?

Nov 2013

With respect to Nerve Conduction Studies – Anti-Sensory What is % of change (e.g., 10%,20%, …)from normal measurement before negative symptoms and what are possible medical conditions. Median, Sural Anti-Sensory, Ulnar 1. % Peak (ms) < Normal Peak (e.g., peak > 33% normal) 2. P-T Amplitude < or > Normal P-T (e.g., P-T amp <50% normal) 3. Vel (m/s) < or > Normal Vel (e.g.,Vel 20% < Normal) With respect to Motor Studies What is % of change from normal measurement before negative symptoms and what are possible medical conditions. Example: Motor onset for wrist > 30% normal is possible problem increasing with % increase Median – wrist, elbow: Peroneal – Ankle, B Fib, Poplt: Tibial Motor – Knee: Ulnar Motor - Wrist 1. % Onset (ms) < Normal Onset (ms) (e.g, Onset <20% normal) 2. O-P Amp < or > Normal O-PT (e.g., O-P Amp> 50% Normal) 3. Vel (m/s) < or > Normal Vel (m/s) (e.g., Vel <85% Normal) With respect to F wave Studies Left Peroneal >m10% Lat Norm Onset  
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted the nerve conduction study related queries. Following are the explanations: 1. Motor nerves- we look at the amplitude, distal latency and conduction velocity. If amplitude is low, it indicates damage to the axon of the nerve. If the distal latency is prolonged, and conduction velocity slow, it indicates damage to the myelin (nerve covering)-demyelinating neuropathy. 2. Sensory nerves- Again we look at the amplitude, distal latency, and conduction velocity. Interpretation of abnormal results is just like motor nerves. 3. F waves- Prolonged F wave latency refers to radiculopathy or nerve root involvement. Common causes for axonal nerve damage are diabetes, vasculitis, leprosy, drug or toxin related, etc. Common causes for demyelinating neuropathy include diabetes, CIDP, GBS, etc. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: What is the normal measurement for Nerve conduction studies? 17 minutes later
The answer does not provide numbers or the ability to understand the signifcance of differences. Your answer is not very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: I am sorry it did not help you. Are you asking about one particular nerve conduction report or a more general question. If you have a specific report belonging to you or a patient, I request you to upload it by scanning. On the other hand, if you have general questions about the nerve conduction studies, I request to ask them in point form. I hope I would be able to answer them satisfactorily. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)